It is believed that the building dates from about 1500, possibly originating as two or three small cottages. It was originally called ‘Cyder By’, for the obvious reason that it is next to the Cyder House.
The garden was considerably improved in the late nineties and is sometimes open to the public in aid of chariity.
The house has two inglenook fireplaces and one of them is blocked off. When the builder looked up the inglenook chimney in 2013 he discovered what may be a priest hole half way up the chimney with a lath and plaster platform. He also discovered the original hooks, chains etc. up the inglenook chimney breast which were originally used to smoke meats.