This house was probably the gatehouse to the big house and later became a Dame School. After Aldro bought the property it was turned into a classroom with accommodation above. In the 1990s Freddy Hill lived here with his collection of antique mechanical musical instruments.
The bricks are laid in ‘rat-trap bond’, which was a common way of economising on bricks for houses up to three stories high.
The date carved in the pilaster by the door is 1819 by George Caesar.
With acknowledgements to the Domestic Buildings Research Group