The name Norney probably derives from Old English words ‘nor(th)an ege’, meaning ‘to the north of the marshy land’; it is true that Norney is high above the swampy land around the Wey at Eashing.
Until recently it consisted only of a few old buildings based around Norney Farm, which was mentioned as long ago as 1757 in the Will of one James Keen, a yeoman from Eashing.
The 1860s brought St Mary’s Church, then the Infants School, and the early years of the 20th century brought the development of Norney Wood. With the 1930s came the big development of land beyond the farm and the Norney we know today. After that it was mainly infill – the bungalows of School Lane, Fairlie Lodge, etc.