Lascelles, Tickner & Co Ltd of Guildford acquired the property ‘Stag Inn’ in March 1894. However, its deeds show that it existed in 1771 when it was conveyed from William Gill of Eashing, Esq. to John Sharp also of Eashing, Gentleman, for £150. He retained it until his death. In his will of 21st January 1792 John Sharp bequeathed it to his widow Elizabeth. She and her two sons, John Sharp Jr., a mealman of Send near Woking and James Sharp of Southwark, mealman, sold the property to John Smith of Eashing, another mealman, for £200.
John Smith had died by September 1817 and he bequeathed the property to his brother Richard Smith, his friend Thomas Henett as well as the testator’s son John Smith Jr. Thomas Henett died on 10th January 1826 and was buried at Seale near Farnham. Richard Smith died on 1st March 1833 and was buried at Godalming.
This left John Smith Jr. sole owner of the property until 1849. He had two daughters, the eldest was married to George Blackman, and the second daughter Margaret remained single.