John Hassell (c. 1767-1825) was a watercolour landscape painter, engraver, illustrator, writer, publisher and drawing-master. Among his interests was travelling the country to paint local buildings and scenes, some of which are reproduced here.
1. Shackleford Court House is probably what is now known as Home Farm, The Street. The core of Home Farm is still this original building.
2. The Parsonage, Peper Harow is now known as Mulberry House, Peper Harow Lane. It was burnt during the incumbency of Dr. Mead, and most of the parish records were lost.
3. This lodge gate entrance to Peper Harow Park no longer exists.
4. Note the spire on St Nicholas Church, soon to be replaced with a tower.
5. This painting is inscribed ‘The Court House Peper Harrow, formerly the Old Parsonage’, but it was mis-named by Hassel . It’s actually the village shop.