A collection of random information picked up over the years, with no obvious place to put it.
Hurtmore and Eashing
James first Marquis of Salisbury sold Hurtmore in 1786 to John Richardson of Shackleford, whose heir, John Aldborough Richardson, was in possession in 1804.
In 1814 he and his wife sold Hurtmore to William Keen. William Keen sold in 1828 to James Henry Frankland and Mary his wife of Eashing. Mr. Frankland died in 1859. His son Major Frankland took the name of Gill, and died unmarried in 1866. Hurtmore passed to his sister, Mrs. Sumner, and from her to her niece, Miss Kerr.
The common fields had been partly alienated to private use in Elizabeth’s time. In Court Rolls of 23 September 1591 it appears that Arnold Champion had alienated to John Westbroke 6 acres by estimation, lately parcels of the field called ‘Godalmyng field,’ and four closes of 16 acres lately parcel of the field called ‘ Ashtedfielde’ in Godalming. The fields in Shackleford were called Estfield, Southfield, and Buryland.
Shackleford inclosure had begun earlier. On 5 October 1503 Robert Bedon had inclosed ‘land called Andyelle,’ ‘Rydys and Wodecrofte, that was never before inclosed.’
The wooden chapel of All Saints, Hurtmore, was held in 1220 by Nicholas, apparitor of the Chapter of Guildford, for half a mark, who had it from Thomas of Hurtmore. The latter had made a composition for it with the Chancellor of Salisbury. In 1260 the Prior of Newark, then lord of Hurtmore, pleaded that he had been permitted to present to Hurtmore ‘Church. It has long disappeared, but its site was south-west of the Charterhouse Hill towards Eashing.